Black Bean Soup
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 chipotle chiles
- 6 strips of bacon, sliced
- 4 cans of black beans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Queso Fresco
- Crema Mexicana (or sour cream)
- Fry bacon until crispy, remove from pan to plate lined with paper towels to drain fat. Empty most of bacon grease from pan, leaving just enough to sauté onions and garlic over medium heat until onions are transparent (reserve a quarter-cup of onion for garnish). Drain liquid from cans of black beans but do not rinse. Add black beans, half a bunch of cilantro leaves, half of sautéed garlic & onions, chicken stock and chipotle to a blender or large food processor and blend until somewhat smooth.
- Combine bacon, remaining sautéed onions and black bean puree in a pot and slowly heat up over medium-low heat. Do not boil.
- After dishing out, top with Crema Mexicana and queso fresco and garnish with diced onion and cilantro.